The Church of Ipapanti is situated at the center of the town at the junction of Egnatia street with Agapinou street, across the Arch and the Church of Panagia Deksia. At the same area, there was the known by patriarchal documents Monastery of mr.Ioel, which was dedicated to Panagia. This monastery was declared in the early 16th century as a metohi of the Monastery of Agia Anastasia of Halkidiki. Indeed, from historical sources we learn that in 1531 Mr. Joel’s Monastery was devastated, but it was restored by the abbot of the monastery of Agia Anastasia Theona, who later became the bishop of Thessaloniki.
The Church of Ipapanti was built in 1841. It belongs to the type of three-naved basilica with zenana, which was common in dozens of churches in Macedonia in the 19th century. The exterior wall on the east side of the building is beautifully decorated with carved stones alternated with bricks; the same system responds also at the lower part of the north and south side walls of the monument. Moreover, on the north wall there are fitted marble fragments of Roman and Byzantine sculptures, as well as part of an inscription of 1272, which mentions a Byzantine official. Inside the building there are no columns between the naves, but wooden piers. The wooden zenana is horseshoe-shaped, that means it is not limited only to the area above the narthex, but it extends partly in the naves. The carved decoration of the church dates back to the 19th century, while it stands out the Sanctuary doors of the Beautiful Gate with the representation of Evaggelismos, which is the work of the Cretan School of 16th century.