The church of Nea Panagia, formerly known as Megali or Trani Panagia, is dedicated to the Assumption of Panagia. It is located in the southeastern part of the center of Thessaloniki, near the sea, at the beginning of the road Dimitrios Gounaris and between Tsimiski and Metropolis streets. As evidenced by the marble inscription over the south entrance of the building, the temple was built in 1727. At the same area, there was a Byzantine monastery in honor of Panagia, founded by Hilarion Mastounis in the 12th century but it was destroyed by fire in 1690.
The church of Nea Panagia belongs to the type of the three-naved basilica with a zenana. On the west side of the building, there is formed an arcade, while on the south there is attached a neoclassical porch, which is a later addition. Above the porch rises a bell tower, which - because of the serious damages it underwent by the 1978 earthquakes that hit Thessaloniki - was demolished and rebuilt. Inside the temple,there is interest in the decoration: at the Holy sanctuary and the zenana there are saved remarkable murals of the 18th century, which have as their model the painting of the Paleologeian era, while sophisticated is presented the gilded wooden templon. The bishop's throne, the pulpit and the ceiling murals date back to the 19th century.