The church of Panagia Gorgoepikoos, known as Panagouda, is located at the junction of Egnatia street with Paleon Patron Germanou street and it is dedicated to the Birth of Panagia. It belongs to an architectural type widespread in Macedonia during the Turkish domination, particularly in the 19th century, the one of three-naved basilica with a zenana.The construction of the church took place in 1818; indeed, as we are informed from archival sources, the building was constructed more extended than allowed by the Turkish authorities, which justifies its large dimensions.
The church of Panagia Gorgoepikoos was erected in the place of an older church with the same name, which was destroyed by fire in 1817. At the same place may, however, have been also built a Byzantine church, probability based on different indicators and especially on the great Byzantine relics, coming from Panagouda. From sources of the 12th, 13th and 14th century, we know that in Thessaloniki there was a monastery – men’s at first and then women’s - which was called "royal". The complex of that Byzantine monastery, which , according to an assumption, was formulated in the 90s,was possibly growing into the place where is now Panagouda.